Adjective is a word that modifies/define a noun.
Classification of Adjective
Adjective is classified into 3:
- Function, are attribute adjective and predicative adjective.
- Type, are desciriptive adjective, quantitative adjective [definite QA (cardinal number, ordinal number, and fraction number) and indefinite QA], possesive adjective, distributive adjective, interogative adjective, and demonstrative adjective.
- How to form, are add ~ful to a noun, add ~ous to a noun, add ~ly to a noun, add ~y to a noun, add ~al to a noun, add ~ish to a noun or adjective, add ~en to a noun, add ~ic to a noun, add ~less to a noun, and add ~able to a verb.
Adjective by its function
Attribute adjective is placed before noun.
- Example: (+) I have blue marker.
Predicative adjective is placed after linking verb.
- She looks beautiful.
- He is handsome.
Adjective by its type
Descriptive adjective is used to describe something.
- Example: big, small, smart, lazy, etc.
Quantitative adjective [QA] is related to amount of something.
Definite quantitative adjective [DQA] (kata sifat bilangan tertentu)
- DQA – Cardinal number: one, two, three, … [1, 2, 3, …]
- DQA – Ordinal number: first, second, third, … [1st, 2nd, 3rd, …]
- DQA – Fraction number: one two, one four, three four, … [½, ¼, ¾, …]
Indefinite quantitative adjective (kata sifat bilangan tidak tertentu)
- Example: many, much, a few, some, etc.
Possesive adjective is also known as possesive pronoun.
- Example: my, your, her, his, their, our, etc.
- Example: each, every, either, neither, etc.
- You may choose either book.
- Neither book is interesting for me.
- Example: what, which whose, who, etc.
- Example: this, these, that, those, a, the, such, etc.
Adjective by how to form
- Add ~ful to a noun. Example: beautiful, wonderful, successful, careful, etc.
- Add ~ous to a noun. Example: dangerous, continuous, luxurious, famous, etc.
- Add ~ly to a noun. Example: friendly, lonely, lovely, etc.
- Add ~y to a noun. Example: cloudy, noisy, risky, etc.
- Add ~al to a noun. Example: national, natural, industrial, etc.
- Add ~ish to a noun or adjective. Example: childish [from noun], reddish, yellowish [from adjective], etc.
- Add ~en to a noun. Example: golden, wooden, etc.
- Add ~ic to a noun. Example: heroic, alcoholic, etc.
- Add ~less to a noun. Example: hopeless, homeless, jobless, etc.
- Add ~able to a verb. Example: questionable, reasonable, fashionable, etc.
Make a sentence for each adjective based on how to form!