A COLD WELCOME
On Wednesday evening, we went to the Town Hall. It was the last day of the year and a large crowd of people had gathered under the Town Hall clock. It would strike twelve in twenty minutes time.
Fifteen minutes passed and then, at five to twelve the clock stopped. The big minute hand did not move. We waited and waited but nothing happened.
Suddenly someone shouted, “It’s two minutes past twelve! The clock has stopped!” I looked at my watch. It was true.
The big clock refused to welcome the new year. At the moment, everybody began to laugh and sing.
Close the text and answer the questions!
- Where did we go on new year’s eve?
- Were there many people there or not?
- In how many minutes would the Town Hall clock strike twelve?
- At what time did it stop?
- What did the crowd do then?